Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Please read... I would like some input...

I guess you could do this, but I think the idea of "tube vintage" and "SS vintage" confuses where ancillaries like speakers and source equipment fall.

I find the distinction among posters on this group more follows a time frame than an equipment type. In my experience, it appears that circa 1970 (give or take a year) is an important cut off for aspects of the industry and for hobbyists. Based on that, I think that for now, a pre-1970 and post-1970 distinction would make more sense when discussing current interests. Obviously, in 10 or 15 years a revision may be appropriate, as the superset of "vintage" expands into 1990s and even 2000s instruments.

I think alternatively one could contend that many of the pre-1970 instruments have become "antique" and start a new group under that heading to accomodate the older instruments. Hard to accept, but enough time has passed for the early Hi-Fi instruments to merit that status. A 1960 Scott or Fisher at 43 is older than most of the posters and likely older than many of the homes they live in. We're now the tombstone radio enthusiasts of the 1970's and '80s.

I would not mess with the tube forum - it is not era-specific; there is a substantial subset of newer tubed equipment frequently discussed and many times the posts generally discuss a tube type without regard to any era.

These are my thoughts on the matter.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Please read... I would like some input... - sgmlaw 08:00:14 07/13/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.