Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Where to find a Wollensak 8-Track ? READ THIS before you get involved with 8 tracks!!

Posted by GODFATHER on April 09, 2003 at 06:36:39
Once upon a time, in a land far, far away(Long Island)
there was a GREAT scam we used to jolt an unsuspecting partygoer.
My buddy Robert's parents were totally cool and used to smoke pot back in the late 60s/early 70's. They also went out a lot and since we were 16, taht meant only one thing- PARTY!!
We'd stock up on tons of what we then thought was beer (Budweiser- yuch, the true Bose of "beer"), wine (MD20/20, Night Train and Bali Hai) and get ready to crank up the stereo. This was an old Lafayette LR1000 receiver and HUGE Lafayette Criterion speakers with 15 inch woofs. Each speaker probably weighed 70 pounds!!
This system had ungodly loud bass and the room was very small.
Best part was the typical source- yeah , they had a Garrard 40b BUT, the scam starts with our favorite source, the $19.00 8 track player, Lafayette of course!!!!!
Once the crowd was well juiced, we'd have one of our "pals" or my burnt out dope addict brother, sit next to the speaker and give him the biggest mug we could find, filled to the top with "beer". We'd put the loudness on, crank up the bass and pop in an 8 track with an incredible guitar solo (like a Hendrix or Beck ). The tunes were rocking and the ear splitting guitar was deafening.. everyone was jammin'!! Our pal by the speaker was groovin' and we all knew what was next- one microsecond the guitar is frying his eardrum and all of a sudden BOOOOOOMMM!!!!!- the 8 track switches tracks!!!!
The woofer literally punches him in the butt and makes an excursion of at least 2 inches, even moving the grille cloth- he is lifted off the floor and the involuntary Bruce Lee arm jerk propels the full mug of beer in his face!!!!!
We laughed so hard we almost peed our pants!! This trick always worked and to this day I still can't believe how loud the BOOOMM was and how far that HUGE woofer could travel and not break......
"Dose wuz da daze"!!!!! Ciao, Godfather
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear John- If you still must have an 8 track, or REALLY want one now, the Wollensak had very good quality!! Guess who made the mechanical transport for the Advent 201 Cassette deck??
I still have my 1st "separate"- a Wollensak reel-reel (6360??) with built-in 18 watt amp, preamp out and al kinds of sound effects.
It's from 1970 and still works!! C, G

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Where to find a Wollensak 8-Track ? READ THIS before you get involved with 8 tracks!! - Godfather 22:01:06 04/14/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.