Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Haven't you guys heard? Only the most expensive equipment can be 'the best'!

Sheesh, you'd think that D0N would put some effort into finding a group more sympathetic to his opinions!
It might benefit D0N to brush up on his reading skills, since airtime actually described the 18 like this: "maybe one of the finest receivers of any make and maybe the best Marantz receiver available in the vintage market". Note the use of the term 'maybe'.
Also, as anybody who's read some of the posts on the topic of the 'best' this-or-that knows, it's a loaded and subjective term, and if anything can be generalized about what's 'best', it's that everyone's idea of 'best' is different and, just as importantly, personal.
My 'best' component isn't necessarily the most expensive one I own, or the one that is top of the line from a particular manufacturer, it's the one that I get the most enjoyment out of. In my case, that's an old Pioneer tube amp that isn't worth squat as far as resale value or its place in the hierarchy of Pioneer equipment.
It has sentimental value to me because it was the first piece of tube gear I found, and it also happens to sound very good to me.
I'm sure there are those to whom the 'best' component is the most expensive, biggest, heaviest, loudest, etc, and everyone has their favourite, whatever the reason, including D0N. However, it should be noted that there are some of us for whom the best equipment will always be the stuff we simply enjoy the most, regardless of value or price.
I think this hobby fits perfectly with my attitude, since most people consider the stuff we collect to be far from the 'best'!
And D0N: try and work on being more constructive in your criticisms, to many of us it just sounds like whining a lot of the time! Surely you can't be as soulless as you make yourself sound, and we might even need a good provoking every once in a while, as long as there's a point! (where's Joe Rosen these days anyways?)
Cheers,
-Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Haven't you guys heard? Only the most expensive equipment can be 'the best'! - Bill The Cat 18:45:54 01/27/03 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.