Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: replace/upgrade?

It seems the first question is how much do you listen to vinyl? That may suggest which way to go.

I'm not familiar with the SL 1300 but believe they generally have a good reputation. But it is old enough that some maintenance seems worthwhile. Are you able to disassemble it enough to check the spindle bearing thrust plate? That is most certainly worn by now and I believe replacements are available. Then a thorough cleaning of the spindle and bearing well, followed by fresh oil (available from KAB). I assume the arm also has lubrication so clean and replace that. Next apply a quality contact cleaner to all contacts. Can you find a copy of the service manual? The arm bearings might need adjusting but I'd proceed with caution there. Lastly clean all contacts, including cartridge clips, headshell contacts, and boat ends of the tonearm cable. With that age it would also be advised to replace all the electrolytic caps.

* Intended "both ends", not the bow and stern of the wire!

If these upgrades are more than you feel competent to try then the question is do you have a local reliable service tech?

If you decide on a new table I'd simply look at whichever new Technics fits your budget.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing, if you can fake that you've got it made." Groucho

Edits: 11/16/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: replace/upgrade? - M3 lover 08:05:35 11/15/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.