Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

My TT - keep or replace/upgrade?

My current TT (and only since 1974) is a Technics SL1300. I put a new SAS stylus on the cart. recently. Sounds very detailed and hits the highs very well.

Aside from a couple of hiccups once in awhile (occasionally it won't turn itself off at the end of an LP record, or not wanting to turn off at all, so I flip the power switch) it is really satisfactory. I don't notice any hum or other noise or rumble when running. I have a couple of MM carts for it, a Shure and Grado. Again, no complaints about the performance of the carts. I like the sound.

Yet, since it is my only reference point, perhaps I don't know what I'm missing? Or perhaps ignorance is bliss?

Should I consider an upgrade? If so, what?

what about a MC cart? I have no experience in this area. (my phono preamp stage will work for MM & MC.) or would such be a waste of money?

This hobby is a bit like a drug addiction... I'm always looking for the next good hit!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - My TT - keep or replace/upgrade? - catbert242000@yahoo.com 13:07:29 11/13/20 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.