Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Thanks all

Bad caps do not trip breakers or blow fuses except in the rare cases when they are shorted. That junk you see on the board is not cap crap, it is glue used during manufacturing. Sometimes when it turns color it becomes conductive but almost never enough to blow a breaker or fuse.

You don't want to give up yet ? Get a DVM and check the outputs. Doesn't matter what they read unless it is 0.000. That is a short when you use the -|>|- scale. You find that, remove them and the drivers. The other channel should work.

People always think caps, it ain't. Caps in the PS can cause hum and noise. Caps in the amp can cause loss of gain and response. I have only seen shorted big caps that break a breaker or blow a fuse in 40 years twice and one of those units was subjected to overvoltage, got 240 instead of 120.

I was the audio guy at three places I remember, and when I talked, they listened. We were always on a budget and that means not replacing $50 worth of parts when what it needs is fifty cents.

If it failed during a thunderstorm it could be the main rectifiers, get the DVM and I will tell you how to find out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thanks all - JURB 22:27:11 07/19/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.