Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Question about speaker impedance

In my experience, it's more an issue when mixing drivers since (again, in my experience) a mismatch there can affect the relative volume and therefore the overall performance. You'd definitely get the best performance with a match but it's not as if it won't work, and with a driver as you're using at that size you'll be getting mostly midrange anyway.

You can probably roughly estimate the impedance using a multimeter, although I'm sure others here will chime in that it's not accurate that way as there's no current going through the driver, but-yet again, in my experience-the rating you get just measuring off the terminals is usually correct.

I have a small portable from the 50s with a 7" driver of unknown origin that I also rebuilt (replaced the turntable with a different machine that I could install a more modern MM cartridge in) and I use the original tube amp, and love it. But I get why you might want to change it out.

Edits: 06/18/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.