Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Odd Sherwood S5000 problem

When the S5000 was getting a lot of attention on here a couple years ago I was able to get one in great condition for a good price and it's the earlier version with the 12AX7's mounted on the slanted sub chassis behind the front plate.
It looks untouched as far as ever being worked on and it did work very well and sounded good considering it was all original and it has a problem.
The odd problem I couldn't figure out was that when the speakers were connected to the proper left-right connections, the channels were reversed and the balance control acted as such. Counter clockwise makes the right channel louder and vice versa.
There also seems to be an abnormal amount of crosstalk as if one channel is bleeding into the other even with no source connected to one channel.
A visual inspection didn't reveal and crossed connections.
I used it for a few weeks frequently checking the voltages and eventually the bias supply was failing so I just put the unit into a closet for another day.
Someone suggested a control not being grounded properly and I wondered about the push buttons that control both channels.
Has anyone run into this kind of problem before?
Just trying to get some opinions before I attempt to take another crack at it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Odd Sherwood S5000 problem - DaveV 14:16:42 03/16/19 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.