Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

My wife's Marantz 2285B

Back in January,1977 my wife went on maternity leave from Western Electric (RIP) and we spent part of her liquidated company saving plan on stereo gear to replace the KLH 20 she bought when she graduated from college.

So, what we bought was a Marantz 2285B, 6200 turntable, Marantz casette deck and a pair of BIC Venturi Formula 6 Spec II. The tape deck was a POS and is long gone. We still have the KLH (in the closet) and the other pieces.

The Marantz has always been the living room system and I've generally been afraid to mess with it. Frankly, I was afraid I'd like it too much and it would make me dissatisfied with my stuff.

Today, she was out and I swallowed my fear and hooked my tablet up to it and gave it a try. My wife likes bass (and music I can't stand). She keeps the bass control at about 3:00 so I turned the tone controls off. I gave it some Gene Harris Big Band and Buddy Rich "Great Swing Face". Lord do those speakers move some air.

In the den my main system is NAD: 2200 amp, 1155 preamp 4155 tuner and a pair of Boston Acoustics CR9's. This system doesn't lack for punch but as they say about the rich, those big drivers are just different.

In the spare bedroom I have a pair of A-25's which are driven by rotating ST-70/PAS-3X, ST-120/PAT-4, and a NAD 1020B/Early Van Alstine MOS-FET 150. It's all good.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - My wife's Marantz 2285B - hvlee 14:48:39 08/02/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.