Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: yamaha ns-4 speakers

Well I tried them out last night with another Yamaha RX 500 U Receiver I had!
I set all the Tone Controls to what Yamaha claimed was flat including the Loudness. I hooked up a Magnavox CDB 502 CD Player. I like the sound of the older Magnavox CD Players from 1987-1992 era! For speaker wire I used coated red & white 18 gauge solid copper wire!(Which I twisted together a little better by hand.)Our Hardware store calls it solid Doorbell wire. Now I mostly listen to what I've heard called easy listening\pop vocalist!So I started out by listening to Tony Bennett last non live or duet album called the Silver Lining!I got to see him live in Concert May 27th of this year!That is why I chose Tony Bennett & that album as he sang most of what was on it!Best 2 hr.Concert I ever went too!What amazed me right away was the fact how everything sounded so forward,in your face like!Especially the vocals!I have the same model Receiver in my bedroom,but using a pair of Yamaha NS-A637 with rubber surrounds on the Woofers,and they do not sound that forward to me at all!Much more balanced.The NS 4's also seemed to have a very wide open spacious sound to them considering how close together the speakers were!1 on each side of the Receiver!I also found I could not listen to them with the grills off,where as my NS-A637's I prefer the grills off! Need to spend some more time with them! I think next I'll try my Yamaha CR 620 as it is closer to the same vintage! Pictures are from the Internet as the lighting was not good enough to take decent photo's of the set up!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: yamaha ns-4 speakers - Brian McGowan 09:26:10 07/14/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.