Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: What cartridge to complete system; AR-XA, AR Integrated, AR3's

Hi GRH,
I just bought a Shure M97xE cartridge. I still have not installed it in my ARXA that I just finished fixing up. I also bought a Grado Green cartridge.
One thing I picked up is that with a new Hurst motor installed in the AR the Grado will hum. Even though I bought a new motor I got the old one to work by dripping 3/1 oil on the pulley shaft, Wayners tip from Audio by VanAlstine. My Grado will go in my Technics SL-23, 25.00 new at a yard sale, mint.
I'd like to see what you observe if you install a Shure and vise versa.
Whats funny to me was when I received the cartridges in the mail.
The Grado looks like it was packaged in Tom Thumbs used toilet paper roll while the Shure, thats even cheaper,Parts Express, comes in a package that resembles a Cross pen and pencil set or a Rolex watch package even though I've never seen one. The Shure comes with a stylus cleaning brush and a little screw driver in the package inlay. Once you got your cartridge installed you could use the box for a cigar case or something else you might smoke!
I've had my new record needles for a few months and still have not installed them as I drifted off to other projects. I need a shove to get back motivated into the vinyl side. Maybe you can give me a push.....thanks Mark Korda.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.