Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: AR system

Gary,

First I'll correct docw who might have made a typo. The AR arm is low mass so best matched with high compliance cartridges. Something from Shure or ADC could be nice, Grado too if you can shield the motor if you experience hum.

Then beyond standard cleaning of the bearing wells for both platter and arm the bearing discs at the bottom are likely due for replacement. Check the AR restoration site. Then as I've advised several times, remove the damping pin on the arm. AR later advised that and even offered an instruction sheet (simple procedure) to do so.

I never owned the AR integrated amp but simply on reputation I would agree with others here and look for a different "period" component. For that I would not recommend a ST-70, even though that seemed to be a popular match by retailers at the time. That amp will not drive the wonderful AR-3 woofers adequately. With Dyna, I'd use Mk IIIs, or look for Mac, Fisher, Sherwood, etc. with 60+ watt output. I'm not certain of the years but if you want to be correct with the AR-3 (not a) that may dictate tubes?

My first stereo was AR-4, Dyna ST-70/PAS3/FM3, Dual/Empire and I still hold fond memories. It would be fun to hear your system.

"The piano ain't got no wrong notes." Thelonious Monk

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: AR system - M3 lover 13:54:07 05/18/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.