Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: McIntosh C20 volume pot/

The gold points work fine, but you only want to install them if you are rebuilding the power supply anyway because you have to move one lytic can underneath. McShane has the really good F and T axials so it is easy to do and they fit just fine under the deck. I have rebuilt 3 or 4 of them this way. The gold point sounds better than any pot, but of course it is only 23 steps or so and they really gouge for the part. I should talk to Arek at Khozmo to see if he wanted to make one with 48 steps. Problem is that there is not enough market for them. You might sell 10-20 a year, but not hundreds. He would probably have to charge $250 - $300 just like gold point. In the end I think the gold point is the best option. An on/off switch doesn't belong anywhere near the signal path in my opinion anyway. Most people have some sort of power device where they can switch the system on and off with one big switch anyway.....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.