Well, I don't pretend to be Mike etc. but I'm pretty happy with my work. This is a MX110x, it was a short lived version between the M and the Z. It has the rotary balance control like the Z but different end caps. The main electronic difference is the Z changed a 6AB4 to a 6U10 to get two more triodes. They were used as cathode followers in the line stage after the input selector before the Tape Outs and Filter/Tone Controls. I think that a low impedance tape deck plugged into tape outs probably was difficult for the phono pre-amp (12ax7) to drive but that's just a guess.
I've rebuilt the power supply with uF diodes, and F&T filter caps that have been upsized. I mainly left the Mc brown coupling caps in place but did change out several electrolytic for 716P orange drops. I'm biased but I think it sounds pretty good. :)
Oh, you may have noticed the wood end caps. The originals were held together by tape and I managed to bend one of also. I know Audio Classics will sell a new pair for a $100 but I routed out some scrap hardwood I had and think they look ok given my naked (no case) unit.
Edits: 04/27/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - My MX110x refurb, before and after - GRH 16:52:21 04/26/17 (9)
- Absolutely Nice work!!! Great tube preamp in my experience! - spindoctor 16:09:04 04/28/17 (0)
- RE: My MX110x refurb, before and after - docw 15:19:30 04/27/17 (4)
- RE: My MX110x refurb, before and after - GRH 16:18:48 04/27/17 (3)
- "There were three makers of that tonearm, Mayware, Sonus, and a third I can't recall" - 1973shovel 09:46:44 04/28/17 (2)
- RE: My MX110x refurb, before and after - Michael Samra 17:04:47 04/26/17 (2)