Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Pretty nice

Purchased many Carver pieces in 1991, all still making beautiful music until the great sell off of 2012. So 21 yrs without an issue other than a few meter lamps, outstanding in any book.

As for their "bullshit" watts, they drove my 84db/watt power hungry Infinitys to ear damaging, foundation weakening, levels with no trouble.

The equipment list:

C-16
TFM-25
TFM-15cb
TFM-15cb
TD-1400
TX-12
DPL-33
MD/V-500

This made a killer surround system with the TFM-25 driving my Infinity mains, one TFM-15cb bridged mono driving my Infinity center, and the other TFM-15cb driving the rear channels. There was another 400watt/channel amp driving two passive built in subs. My equipment saw a lot of use, daily used just for regular tv viewing, a couple of hrs a day listening to music, and of course MOVIES.

So figure 8hrs a day, 365 days a yr, multiplied by 21yrs? Comes out to a little over 60,000 hrs for the preamp and the TFM-25 as they were in use for all our media activities. The TFM-15cb's and DPL-33 a very close second. As most of my music listening is vinyl the tuner, tape deck, and laser/multi disc player had many less hrs. It's possible my numbers are a good bit too low as my system was on with either music or television from morning until night.

Again, all lost in the great sell off of 2012 (along with Mac gear, Nak gear, etc, etc, etc) when I lost my bride of 32yrs. Much of the equipment has been replaced now along with many of the Carver pieces (thank you eBay). And I have to say, the used Carver gear has been outstandingly reliable, not a single issue.

Martin

Edits: 04/24/17 04/24/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Pretty nice - Kingshead 14:20:01 04/24/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.