Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Recs for Tubes & tweaks for HH Scott gear

Have had LK 150 amp LC21 pre-amp pair in a 3rd system. Love the midrange, dynamic range, and layering (front to back separation and instrument placement) of the sound stage that it does.

Disappointed in poor frequency extension in the base and rollEd off highs. Was wondering if anyone had experience with these or similar amps and could recommend tubes or other tweaks to improve the sound.

Pre amp uses six 12A7X and one 6X4. Have 4 Sovtek and 1 telefunken + 1 Realistic holdovers from the old days in now.

Amp uses two 7199 phase inverteters, four 6550 output, and two 5AR4 rectifiers. Have nos 7199 RCA inverter and JJ 5AR4 rectifiers in now. Have new Russian Tung Sol 6550s in preferring them to SED 6550 and Sovtek KT 88s that I rolled through.

Have used primarily w budget Morrow MA1 interconnect and SP1 cables and budget bookshelf speakers like Athena BS1, Infinity Primus 140, and Epos ELS8.

Thinking of trying new Russian Mullard KT88 output tubes. I'd appreciate any tube new or NOS or other recommendations that anyone out there might have.

Thanks,
CN

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Recs for Tubes & tweaks for HH Scott gear - CNemo 12:16:08 04/15/17 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.