Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Repair of oil cloth surround on alnico woofer

I recone speakers, and it looks to me like your surround has torn at the edge, which is something I would consider too severe to patch. You've got a long tear and no really good way to bridge it with something to make the patch last. Also, it looks like you have rust on the basket frame. Those small rust particles can effectively saw through the surround edge over time, which is probably what happened. I think a new surround is the only way to fix this properly. You need to remove the gaskets and clean the edge to get a good mounting surface. You might even need to seal the mounting surface with a paint with strong adhesion to metal. Then, replace the surround and gaskets. I think that's the only way to do it properly. Any other way, and the rest of the surround is probably due to fail soon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I've patched many speaker cones and surrounds, but this is bad.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Repair of oil cloth surround on alnico woofer - Thermionic27609 08:58:31 03/20/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.