Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Refubishing old Sherwood S-5000, need schematics

The S5000 takes 7189s, not 6BQ5/EL84s, as they will "fry". For all practical purposes, "the only game in town" is the Russian 6П14П-EB (6p14p-ev), AKA EL84M. Fortunately, that variant is tough and good sounding.

The Sovtek 5AR4 will do nicely, IF the series SS diode tweak is employed. Use UF4007s, instead of the 1N4007s shown in the graphic, as that better diode will serve well in future projects.

The clean and quiet Sovtek 12AX7LPS is fine for the phono section. Either of New Sensor's "reissue" Mullard or "reissue" TungSol 12AX7, depending on the voicing preference you and your dad have, will be good in the line section. The Mullard exhibits mid-range accent and the TungSol exhibits "chime".

All of the useful small signal pentode/triode types are out of production. :>( In particular, the 7199 is (IMO) ridiculously expensive. I suggest you rewire the sockets to take 6BL8s/6GH8s/6U8s, without changing parts values. The 3 types are pin compatible and any 1 of them will do. FWIW, I prefer the 6BL8.

Is a "stock" refurbishment contemplated or is something "radical" under consideration. For instance, source selection can be upgraded to remove switches from mV. level signal lines. In today's environment, tape head I/Ps are passe.

Contact AA sponsor Jim McShane for your tube and some of your parts needs.

Eli D.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.