Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

yes, very true.

and I'll come back to that. But .....

Russia won Barbarossa in 1941, just. With almost no help at all, from the Western allies. Without many T34s too.

Because they did and had got their factories back behind the Urals, they were going to win and Germany was going to lose.

Just as the USNavy did at Coral Sea and Midway, just.

Took Russia three and half years to defeat Germany and its allies and the USA and its allies three years to defeat Japan.

The STUGs - were originally intended to support the infantry in attacks with short 7.5cm low-velocity guns.

They were given long high velocity guns, urgently - in consequence of the failure by Germany in Barbarossa. Unintended consequences at work.

Not as flexible as tanks, with the same guns, and very good for lying in wait. And, yet more flexible than towed Anti/Tank guns.

So, this shift within the Wehrmacht wasn't a sign of victory, but of defeat. It's a defensive posture weapon. As were the Tiger and Tiger II.

One asks oneself why Hitler's Germany went to war, with the aim always being Russia? Because that always was his aim, and he was running the show.

Coral Sea just looks like a simple draw. One smallish IJN carrier sunk. But, two big carriers out of the picture, one because its aircrew had gone, and the other badly damaged, and both go back to Japan for a long period.

USN loses one over-large carrier and patches up Yorktown at Pearl.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 02/06/17 02/06/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.