Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Vintage Power Cords

"He does this measurement by measuring the chassis voltage, with interconnects disconnected then measuring again with the power outlet plug flipped upside down or prongs reversed in the AC outlet. The lower voltage measured on the chassis providing the least distortion."

I did this 25 years ago before three wire grounded plugs were common. I was more concerned that there could be dangerous ACV on the chassis. Further, any AC voltage on the chassis causes current to travel through the interconnect cables since the two chassis of the connected components are at different voltage potentials. This is not only dangerous, but it also causes noise and hum. All this was solved by the introduction of three wire power cables and by not using the chassis as ground, with the exception of one location where the green ground wire from the power cord is connected.

Some consumer gear in the 1950s and 1960s used the chassis as ground throughout the unit. This creates many ground loops and the only way to fix the situation is to make a ground bus. Everywhere the chassis is used as ground, that connection should then go to the bus which is only connected to the chassis where the green wire from the power cable is connected. Any older gear that reaches my workbench receives a three wire cable before any other task is started. If the chassis was used as ground that is rectified too by installing a ground bus.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.