Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Who Can Tell Us Which "World Reference" Preamps Used Selenium Rectifiers ?

And, Half-Wave Rectified to boot ? Yes, I am talking genuine, stateside made stereo preamps. The kind anyone of us would be proud to own. I am thinking of two units which begin with sequential letters...

Wasn't that a good hint ? Yes, I will spare you the brain power...

Lafayette KT600/KT600A and Marantz Seven(7C) originally come with Half-Wave Selenium Rectified Power Supplies. That means only one, small stack disc for the High Voltage supply.

If you replaced these with silicon diodes and adjust voltages with a resistor, you might have preferred the sound with the selenium rectifier.

I am not condoning either method. I am simply posting this here, so all can consider the facts. Surely, conversion to silicon or modern bridge diodes might be beneficial electronically. Soundwise, what if you actually prefer the half-wave selenium with more capacitance added to the power supply cap banks ?

If you were restoring a Marantz 7C, you might prefer to "bypass" the selenium, but leave the selenium in place for that vintage look the buying collector wants to see...You all have seen the prices of the 7C rising rather sharply through the years, right ? There must be something about the sound of that unit which keeps demand going, right ? BTW, the Lafayette KT-600 is no slouch in the sound department either....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.