Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

In the PAM & PAS, selenium only used for filament voltage...

For those preamps, a working selenium will have minimal sonic value, either positive or negative.

For the many phono and even full-function vintage preamps which used seleniums for high voltag, their sound, when working, is not bad. Compared to a silicon replacement, adjusted for proper voltage with a resistor, the selenium actually does yield a slightly warmer sound !

Considering that a few "world reference" vintage preamps came with selenium rectifiers for their high voltage supply, if the voltages are proper and hum is not heard, I am hesitant to replace the selenium, at first. I will then increase power supply capacitance and listen critically after coupling caps and voltages are fine.

If a phono stage, like the old chrome cuties, or a GE UPX-003_ is found for restoration, since their B+ selenium is working with less than 4 mA at under 150V DC, why replace it ? Because, someone says they are toxic ? If the voltages are fine, stable and the unit sounds fine, I might even leave the selenium alone for another decade....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.