Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Power tubes to match Chicago power transformer PSC-165 and SC AP-50 Chasis

Happy New Year You All,

About 12 years ago I was buying some Stromberg Carlson amps, and accumulated three AP-55 amps and one AP-50 amp to make two mono pairs. In the course I ended up with an almost empty AP-50 chassis. About that time I also ended up with a Chicago power tranny PSC-165 that weighs 12 lbs but puts out only 880 vct @ 165mA, 5v @ 3 A, and 4 various 6.3 V taps that total about 14 A.

Recently I have been thinking of converting the mono AP-50 chassis into a stereo amp by utilizing the Chicago PSC-165 to supply all the power. I was told by my technician that 165 mA is not quite enough to run four powerful power tubes. So I thought I design the amp to be a class A single ended instead. So here's what I plan to do:

5V @ 3A will be for 1 5U4 rectifier.
6.3 V @ 14 A should be plentiful for 2 power tubes and driver tubes.
880 Vct @ 165 mA should be adequate for a pair of Sovtek 5881 (VTL branded, I have quite a few of them) or a pair of 6L6GC running single ended. That should put out about 6.5 W in pentode mode.

I would also like to build in a couple of OD3 voltage stabilizer since I also have quite a few of them around.

I am hoping that some knowledgeable and experienced folks here can shed some light for me on the whole matter here since I am not well versed in electronics at all, although I love vintage tube equipment and own plenty of them.

Happy New Year to you all!

Hans

Edits: 01/03/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Power tubes to match Chicago power transformer PSC-165 and SC AP-50 Chasis - hkyak@cycu.edu.tw 00:56:57 01/03/17 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.