Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Grommes 40PG Crosses the Finish Line

My 1959 Grommes 40PG restoration has finally been completed. It started it's new life with me as an auction buy last February. The owner was upfront that it was being sold for parts/restoration and suggested that some of the paper caps needed to be replaced as well. Although I didn't know it at the time, it needed a new power transformer as well.
I got a wild hair and decided to just replace every cap and resistor in it and purchase new tubes. I've always like the styling of the Grommes from this period. Sort of late 50's auto with the chrome and trapezoidal shape. It was also made the same year I was born, so there was that connection as well.
Thanks to Michael Samra for helping me to get this to completion. Some things can't be learned from books. It takes someone who has the experience and knowlege to impart. Mike, you are that someone - Thanks!
It was at the end when I discovered that the primary in the power transformer had a short. From now on, I will check that first! Heyboer Transformers were able to make me one to the original specs and I'm sure that it performs better than the original. Thanks also to Jim McShane, from whom I purchased the lion's share of the parts from. Premium metal film and carbon comp resistors, Nichicon, Panasonic and Russian PIO coupling caps. Jim put together a parts list for me that was the framework for the beginning of the restoration. I purchased the two multi-section electrolytics from Hayseed Hamfest, as I wanted to preserve the stock look. I can always add more capacitence or a choke under the hood later if I want. I couldn't be more pleased with how it all turned out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Grommes 40PG Crosses the Finish Line - Craig941 15:27:30 01/01/17 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.