Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Vintage Beauty Factor? Marantz 7c

A vintage piece is the sum of it's parts. The original uses a number of discrete components that in today's market would be shockingly expensive. A carbon film resistor today costs ten cents where the many of the ones in the 7c would run around 5 bucks - ouch! Then you add the REAL point to point wiring where today you could replace 90% of that wiring with a single PCB.

Unfortunately the debate of vintage sound has come down to just worn out parts and out dated material technology. No magic just worn out parts and some very expensive time consuming hand wiring. The debate of new parts materials vs vintage, well that's an entirely different argument.

Now what I REALLY wonder is if those designers and builders had access to today's parts material would we still have that same sound????? My guess is no. It would sound like any other high end audio piece today. However!! those engineers however did try and "voice" a piece and had more of an appreciation of "true music" than today's engineers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Vintage Beauty Factor? Marantz 7c - airtime 07:16:24 12/13/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.