Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: What would cause a Pioneer SA-6700 to have a wooly sound?

In my experience, that is the typical sonic signature of a 70's era Japanese receiver. The main culprit is the phono preamp; try almost any reasonably good 3rd party phono pre into an unused line level input and see what you think. Ideally just borrow one (a decent one; avoid the $50 specials) and see if that brings some naturalness to male vocals and bass instruments.

I'm sure you will then decide to seek out a Phono Preamp that meets your quality requirements.

Your phono cartridge choice could be contributing. Some are a little dark to begin with, and the combination doesn't add up well.

There are many Phono Preamps that are decent at about $100, and you can certainly hear improvements in Sound Quality (SQ) as you go up in price. If you don't need Moving Coil capabilities, you can keep it under $500 and do quite nicely. My advice would be if you do decide to try a MC pickup to go the transformer route in combination with your chosen MM pre-preamplifer, but that's another topic.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What would cause a Pioneer SA-6700 to have a wooly sound? - gordguide 08:19:11 12/10/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.