Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: High compliance ceramic cartridges

Hi Maxhifi,

The notion is not as absurd as some may think. My first "Hi-Fi" cartridge back in the mono days was a Ronette. I recently dragged it out it's ~50 year slumber and mounted it on a knock-off SME headshell and gave it a listen. It really was not bad on mono Lps and 78s. Now I'm not saying it is going to rival my magnetic cartridges including a classic mono GE RPX but it is decent. I have not had much experience with stereo ceramic cartridges but I do know good ones exist. The Micro Acoustics come to mind.

There are fundamental differences between ceramic and magnetic cartridges. Ceramics are amplitude responding while magnetics are velocity responding. This amounts to a 6 dB / octave difference in the frequency response curve. It turns out the the 6 dB difference gives the ceramic an acceptable approximation to the RIAA curve required with magnetics. Also ceramics are typically loaded with a very high impedance (> 500 k Ohms). With many modern solid state AUX inputs the impedance is much lower, causing low frequency responce to suffer. You can run them into a magnetic input with a network which I will link. This will give better RIAA EQ than the high impedance, high level input common in the day.

Phil

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.