Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

So you found out about Sansui !

Lee, after fixing about a half dozen sansui's I've come to the conclusion I like (SOME) of them but would never own one. Much to my horror after looking inside these units I was amazed that ANY of them are even still around! Great designs but holy cow - did they skimp on parts!!! I mean unrated voltage parts, and even the cheapest of all - ceramic caps with underated voltage. How cheap CAN they get!

And I found the as the price of the Sansui went up the sound quality went down. The cheaper units sounded better than the expensive ones.

As for Pioneer I would classify that as personal taste. They do sound good if that's your thing. I found the Pioneer SX-750 to be quite good. I would go as far as to say it would be a runner for one of the top ten best receivers in that wattage range. I also found the more expensive separates Pioneer made to be AWFUL!!!! Ear bleeders I called them.

Marantz - also a taste had it's sweet spots. Excellent 30 wpc and below and excellent 100wpc and above. Seemed in between those units were fair. with the exception of the 2270.

As for the Yamaha's, I has a CA610 that was wonderful. It did everything well. No flaws but also nothing stood out - if that makes any sense. If there was any mistake I made in audio, selling my Yamaha was it!!!!

charles

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • So you found out about Sansui ! - airtime 09:04:15 07/11/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.