Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Vintage ALTEC power amplifiers any good ?

Having looked up some tripath reviews once my curiosity was raised by your question, they don't look much like raves to me. If you are sure you will be satisfied by a mediocre, disposable M-I-C 20 watt per channel amp, go ahead, knock yourself out. At $20 per, a cheap enough experiment. Only you will know if your ears are satisfied, and that's all that counts.

OTOH those old Altecs were well engineered in the day when that meant quality construction meant to last decades. Lika any "vintage" gear, old Altecs will likely need the usual repairs & upgrades. And once that is done, you can expect quality audio. There are lots of fans of tube Altecs; you can find them on this website. SS Altecs, at least the ones I've seen & repaired, were built by BGW. Industrial strength reliability, made in USA. I found nothing to complain about in terms of sound quality, perhaps a "dry" tone associated with sand amps. But these are big bruisers intended for sound reinforcement / PA use. If you don't need a couple hundred watts per channel why bother.

If you try the tripath, let us know how you make out, OK? And if you need to get rid of any old tubed Altec or similar boat-anchors, just ship 'em here. Or flog them on AA Trader. I'm sure you'll find willing buyers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Vintage ALTEC power amplifiers any good ? - TrustYourEars 06:56:36 07/08/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.