Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

You are welcome for the info...

You had an HF-85 and sold it ? What replaced it ?

I still use the HF-85 line stage as my reference. Before that, my Lafayette KT-600 was my line stage of choice. I also use an Audio Research SP-2 in my main system often, but that is not really a sweet sounder; detailed and accurate, yes. I prefer the warmth of other, more vintage units. Other preamps I have "saved" for a long while were Paragon E, Lux CL-32 and a super rare CL-30. The CL-32 replaced an ARC SP-3A, way back when.

If you can get another HF-85 for a good price, they have great potential. The phono stage can be changed and more phono stages can be added on the mic and tape head positions; easily. The line stage needs very little to still compete with anything you can think of getting. Their prices keep climbing on the bay; so the secret is worldwide, now. The HF-85 would be perfect for your W5s and any amps you want later. The drive capability of the HF-85 line stage is enormous. I used to drive my RCA MI-4256 2A3 amps, which need 5-8 Volts input to start singing, as the number 59 driver tube was the input tube. The KT-600 also drove these well. The longer you wait, the pricier these classic preamps get. The HF-85 is approaching the KT-600 values quickly. KT-600 has a circuit board while the HF-85 is point to point wiring. Certainly, a Mac C-20 is another good candidate. Enjoy !

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.