Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Vintage system update!

For the most part, my vintage system consists of hand-me-downs from earlier systems I've owned that were significant in my walk with audio.

This time I've moved the Wayback Machine forward ten years. The Advents returned me to 1972 when I bought my first decent system. Ten years later, I had updated Acoustat Monitor 4s to 2+2s which I kept for twenty some years. I've been looking for a pair of similar 1+1s and picked them up yesterday. The Threshold amp is returned to its original dance partner. Well, close. :)

While I've enjoyed the double New Advents for many years, they are not a match for the coherency, resolution and imaging realism of the Acoustats. The tradeoffs are the Advents go lower and can play louder. I've mentioned before how well the Advents sounded far outside the garage. In this respect, the Acoustats are better still. Voices sound so natural and alive even from my neighbor's driveway!

Now, a bit of work begins. The grill cloth is in horrible shape as the original owner had cats. Which is just as well since they are not acoustically transparent. I had re-socked the 2+2s with Spandex a while back to improve their sound. These need the same update. I suspect the power supplies are original and internal parts could use some updating as well. The panels need a fresh tensioning job via hair dryer, too. One flaps a bit on low bass.

I couldn't be happier.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Vintage system update! - E-Stat 08:12:06 06/30/12 (18)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.