Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Guitar snobbery, etc.

You've hit the nail on the head. As a gigging guitar guy for 25+ years, whether a guitar is old or new, or where it comes from, doesn't matter to me... As long as it's a good guitar that plays & sounds the way I want it to and stays in tune, I'm good.

For the last several years my electric guitar stash has consisted of:

'92 Gibson LP Studio
'76 Gibson Marauder
'84 Fender made in Japan Strat
'94 Fender American Standard Strat
2010 Xaviere Tele copy (made in China) bought for $160 from guitarfetish.com
Late 60s/early 70s Crestline "Lawsuit" LP copy (used to be my dad's, then my wife's dad's guitar. Sentimental value.)

The Gibsons rarely get played these days. They're nice guitars, but they're heavy as Hell, and IMO, the Strats & Tele copy are more versatile for my applications. The $160 Tele copy has become a favorite for gigging. After replacing the tuners with Fender USA tuners I had laying around, sticking a set of string saver saddles on it and tweaking things up, I'd put it up against any genuine USA Tele I've played. In fact, it plays better and sounds a little hotter than a friend's '52 Fender Custom Shop Tele reissue.

Bottom line is, as long as you have a good chunk of wood, the neck's good, and the electronics are up to par, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to get a great guitar. It's mostly in the setup.

Vintage guitars are largely a racket. I've played quite a few 60s Gibsons & Fenders, and honestly... I think from a player's standpoint, the new ones are at least as good, and frequently much better.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Guitar snobbery, etc. - soundnut 05:26:16 06/19/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.