Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Tube Buffer Stages and Tube Headphone Amps as Buffers...

...are a great sounding add-on; for many systems. I first heard the phenomenon with a tube/FET headphone amp used between CD payer and Aux In on my tube preamp. Wow ! What a difference in spatial efx and sonic warmth compared to the lowly CdP directly into the Aux In.

However, with some systems, the CDP can be awesome by itself. Trying this with my higher end cdp, the efx were not as pronounced. Now, your usage between pre amp and power amp stage adding "better" sound is real; for you with your application, in your system. Perhaps, a phono stage with tubes may be your next trial with fire...

For Tesla, the buffer may not add anything positive that another gain stage could not accomplish. Then again, the buffer and hybrid headphone amps acting as buffers, have another advantage; that of impedance matching. They may indeed sound better than a cathode follower stage, or even a plate follower stage.

What is most important here is system integration; leading to system synergy. What sounds good to you is the most important factor. If using an extra buffer stage, or a different buffer stage than say a common cathode follower, sounds nice; then by all means, do it...and ENJOY !

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.