Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Here is the problem...

I am inferring here, because I could not spec the woofer out, but long throw woofer with low FS, don't usually do so well up top. Yes, the JBL could be an exception, but I would want to know before I put in the work and the long green. I suspect he would be better of with something like a 2226 which shorting rings that stays smooth up to 1.6 KHz.

In addition, while 1.5 in. exit (or 1.4 in this case) compression drivers are usually rated down to 500hz, that is not their recommended crossover (see link below, http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20CP755nd-1.htm). You can go lower when you’re driving it with a 300B SET, but if you are going to put some power to it, you going to get distortion and maybe failure.

Another problem I did not mention, is if you are going to cross a 500 or above, you will be able to hear the transition if the amps are dissimilar.

I looked into building a 15” + compression drive speaker for quite a while. There is a reason why they pay people to do it. There is a lot to it. Ask Jon Risch of Peavey or Wayne Parham of Pi Speakers.

All that being said, the best cheap amp I know with great low end is an Adcom GFA-555. I have not herd the GFA-555 II but I would expect it to also be a contender. Even better would be a Perreaux.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.