Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: When the parts are worth more than the whole

Most are. If you think about it, all those "ordinary" tube components of the early and mid 60's came stock with what is now sought after tubes. I've got a bone-stock Dynaco PAS-2 sitting on a shelf. Now there are a lot of upgrades you can do to it, but it's likely that a modern preamp will still better it. And it's not particularly valuable itself, but it's full of the original Dynaco branded Telefunken 12AX7's which are probably more valuable than the whole preamp--provided they test high enough. Others I'd put in the same boat are the Eico ST-40 and ST-70. I think they look ugly, especially compared to the brass-faced Fisher and Scott gear, but again the tubes and transformers are there. The rule-of-thumb I've heard is that if the cosmetics are good, chassis undamaged and no rust or corrosion then it's worth restoring, otherwise you might be better off parting it out.

--Matt
"When you think everything is someone else's fault, you will suffer a lot."
--Dalai Lama

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: When the parts are worth more than the whole - realistico 10:50:45 05/09/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.