Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Time for some fun. What ONE piece of gear would you like to have back?

A bunch of amps roll through here for repair or restoration so I get to listen to many. I still own the ones I like the most (Citation I/II/V and a another custom built octal preamp), I still have my old TD125 with the SME arm and the V15....but the one thing I let go that I regret was a pair of AR3a speakers I restored. A friend had gotten them for basically nothing with bad woofer surrounds. He likes refoaming woofers and has gotten quite good at it so he did them. I got them for the cost of his surround kit...I think I paid him $30. I promptly rebuilt the crossovers with nice caps and resistors and discovered one tweeter was shot. So I sourced a pair of replacement tweeters from some guy on ebay who had worked out a Chinese silk dome that worked perfectly with those crossovers and dropped right in there. I think I paid about $200-$225 for the speakers, all the crossover parts, and the pair of new tweeters. Put those tweets in and hooked them up to the Citation II. Dropped the needle on a record and WOW. I have other speakers that are better, but I kept those AR3a speakers for a couple of years and would haul them out every month or two and listen. I even had a pair of those nice Target half height stands for them that were just right. I really understood why that speaker had such a following. I passed them on to a buddy at cost. He needed good speakers and is still enjoying them daily. I miss them though....despite their flaws they had this smooth sound with enough detail to be interesting....and wonderful imaging. It was AR's take on imaging, but it was delightful. Sigh....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Time for some fun. What ONE piece of gear would you like to have back? - dls123 21:09:21 05/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.