Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Yes, it is a hobyy that everyone can enjoy, just like...

I wish i could remember the source of this quotation. But it is a wise saying and since i don't have the original, this is a paraphrase.

Since we cannot hope to exactly reproduce a live performance in the home; the best we can do is create an aesthetic equivalent.

I fully agree with that, and once I read it and thought about it, it has guided my pursuits ever since. The issue, as I see it, is that it takes us out of the field of measurements and the objective; and into subjective judgements which are likely to vary quite a bit from person to person.

For example, the Advent and the JBL L100 sound very different. Yet, each was a really hot seller. The Advent was much better for classical music and the L100 was preferred for rock. It is argued by some that there are no rock speakers and classical speakers; just inaccurate speakers. However, if we go by the criteria of the aesthetic equivalent; the L100 does a much better job of bringing back one's memory of being at a live rock concert. Certainly the concert's PA system was not accurate, either. But the L100 does not bring one back to Symphony Hall nearly as well as the Advent does.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.