Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Classic Magnetics

IIRC Magnequest has the prints from the original winding manufacturers, so there ought not to be very much difference.

I believe one reason why old iron sounds good, is that they are simply completely broken in.

There was a rumor in the late 80's, that certain Peerless transformers were wound with rectangular cross section wire. This was the concerning the early non ultra linear transformers in the 20-20 series, but I have found no verification of this story.

I do know that the Tice power block and Titan isolation transformers were wound with square cross sectional wire, however, so such a construction is feasible. Someone else ( unverified) had told me once that the wire was actually diamond shaped in order that they could be more tightly wound. Again I have found absolutely no verification of such construction.

I have seen and actually held a blueprint of the Heath W-6 output transformer in my hands. Nothing was unusual, except they specified that that the transformer "can" be packed with silica sand and then tamped down before tar was poured into the box. Silica has a high quantity of quartz in its composition.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.