Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Marantz 8B In Stereophile

Interesting thread this...

I get stereophile because my daughter's school was selling mags as a fundraiser and I had to pick something. I don't have all that much use for a rag that reviews $50,000 gear and calls $10,000 gear cost effective. But I digress...

When I read Art Dudley's review I was tempted to write him and point out that unless he completely rebuilt the power supply it was a ridiculous comparison against a modern amp with all new parts in it. Also, the coupling caps in the modern amp are better. I don't know exactly what is in an 8b for caps, but the old Sprague bumblebees that are in old Citation gear are pretty mediocre compared to a decent modern cap. We are not talking about $40 boutique caps, just Matushitas or 716P or Illinois, or the odd K40 in places it counts. I know it would ruin the value of an 8b, but if you rebuild the PS and recapped it with modern signal caps, and replaced out of spec carbons with good carbon films, etc.. Not changing the circuit one bit except perhaps beefing up the PS capacitance it would probably stomp the living daylights out of most of the modern amps they review. I completely understand the point about every restored vintage piece being different than every other one, but a one-off review wouldn't hurt a thing except their advertisers. All those $2000 Chinese amps cannot hold a candle to say a properly restored Citation V power amp which costs less. I just did a little Fisher SA100 19 watt/ch EL84 amp with huge output trannies. With a new power supply, good caps and a good bias supply it sounded FAR better than the tired original. Same circuit and iron, just better PS and signal path parts. You do that to something like a Citation II or 8B or good Mac and it will stomp all over most of the stuff they review. Of course they wouldn't want you to know that..... and we probably don't want full page reviews proclaiming how good restored vintage gear is. Then we couldn't afford anything!

cheers,
Don

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.