Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Ahh, the 8B (Caution, reminiscing ahead)

In 1976, I bought a system based around Absolute Sound "Editor's choice" list or something.

The speakers were Dahlquist DQ-10's, an Audio Research SP3-A-1 preamp, and an SAE power amp. I always thought I did pretty well, and enjoyed the system.

Some years later, while going through a divorce in the mid 1980's, I joined an audio club. Another member told me he wouldn't give me 2¢ for my SAE, and loaned me his Marantz 8B to try out.

Be advised that I didn't know much about the workings of components back then. I was more of a music lover than a hobbyist. I remember two things prior to trying the 8B. One was the feeling that I might damage the DQ-10's, since the Marantz was only 35 watts (and I think Dahlquist recommended 50 WPC as a minimum, if I remember correctly). The second thing was that I figured I already had the best of both worlds, since I had tubes in the system with the ARC preamp, and the SAE amp had made it on a list, after all!

How wrong I was. The 8B opened up the Dahlquists and let me hear them like I never heard them before. I had a fondness for Marantz gear anyway (their SS stuff from my high school days), but now I knew just what a musically enjoyable difference a good tube amp could make.

I was in no financial position to buy the 8B at that time. Being unemployed and going through a divorce will do that to you. I began upgrading Dynaco tube amps as an alternative, and have been hooked on the sound (and fun) of tube amps ever since.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Ahh, the 8B (Caution, reminiscing ahead) - 1973shovel 14:51:37 02/13/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.