Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Marantz 8B In Stereophile

As you may be aware, the reviewer (Art Dudley) clearly described the condition of the amp and the few parts replaced due apparently to failure (a resistor in an unspecified part of the circuit and PS rectifiers). He also remarked that no other parts were in "obvious" need of replacing and were presumably not replaced. So IMO the review is pretty up-front as regards the amp’s condition.

I don't believe there will be any attempt at "restoration" for a couple of reasons: 1. The amp is the private property of a customer and is probably already in his/her hands. 2. It has been Stereophile's stated policy to NOT get into reviewing restorations of vintage audio equipment. John Atkinson (or someone on the Stereophile editorial staff) explained this after Dudley reviewed a pair of Advent loudspeakers he attempted to restore and got a ton of on-line and letters-to-the-editor grief because he didn't do it exactly as some purists imagined he should. IIRC a similar situation occurred when someone from Stereophile reviewed a relatively unrestored Fisher 500C receiver a few years ago. The reasoning goes something like this; There are so many options for replacement parts out there that no matter what was done, any restoration would be a one-of-a-kind situation and would therefore be relatively meaningless as the subject of a review other than for entertainment value.

Actually, I'm surprised this review was allowed to see the light of day based on the kerfuffle that has occurred with the last couple of vintage equipment reviews.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Marantz 8B In Stereophile - Steve O 13:16:23 02/13/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.