Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Whacky Stack - Ohm F's

I was always partial to the Ohm "F". We had them in our store (used pair we took in trade) in SoCal - We had them hooked up to a Dyna Stereo 400 and set the current limiting low (we didn't want to blow them up.) The sold at twice what we gave for them in less than 10 days. There were lots of nice tower speakers out there in the late 70's - the ADS, the AR-9's and a few others. The Ohms were just different. Sound stage was "back there" but the speakers did a great disappearing act. The were an influence on my Shahinian Obelisk purchase a couple years later. IMO, a dipole or omni is the theoretically prefered type of radiator - and the "F's" were certainly that! We also carried the Omni Design Acoustics D12 and the even better sounding Hemispherical D-6 radiators. I have a solid memory of those three systems on our "Dyna" wall. Cal Stereo Bellflower Store 1976 Like the Early Bose 901's they were not efficient and could just play loud enough.

I had a friend in Iowa later that owned a pair of "F's" with Phase Linear amplification, and we were listening to the differences in CD players (1984) - so they had decent resolution.
"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Whacky Stack - Ohm F's - BigguyinATL 12:51:40 02/07/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.