Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: The Rola is reading 4 ohm...odd

Agree that the Rola is a replacement driver. If the speaker with the rola driver is the louder of the 2, adding some series resistance (bringing the total to about 8 ohms) might help. The Maggie amp probably has output transformers with 4 ohm secondaries, a possible advantage for the Rola.

The KN3005 was not listed in the Allied 1963 catalog. It was listed in the Allied 1966 catalog at 29.95. All 3 drivers were specified as having alnico magnets. By 1969 it had morphed into the KN3005A, which had ceramic magnet drivers. Same driver diameters, enclosure size, crossover frequencies (800 & 5000HZ), weight and price.

The enclosure volume and tuning are unlikely to be optimal for the Allegro drivers. The voicing will not be the same either. The Utah 10 had a paper surround and relatively light cone. The Allegro was a T/S based design, with a heavier cone and high compliance cloth surround. The 10 inch was run wide open (full range). The 'woofer cap' was actually the 1st order high pass network for the midrange. There should have been a cap for the tweeter as well. Series resistors were used for attenuation.

I think there is a good chance of finding a replacement Utah driver on eBay or at a local hamfest.

Regards,

Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The Rola is reading 4 ohm...odd - AstroSonic 10:15:00 02/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.