Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: BIC 960 Turntable

Sorry for the delay, Doug.

The unit was purchased new and had a three-pin cam gear. Basically, it worked fine until the original drive belt [orange?] broke a long time ago.

At some point, I got a replacement belt, but I didn't realize the one I had been given was incorrect, and it wouldn't change speed. I thought something else was wrong, and the unit didn't get used much, so the changer mechanism got gummed up. Recently, I realized I'd been given the wrong belt, got a correctly-sized one and started trying to clean the unit up.

Sometime prior to your above post, I discovered the program rod was getting kicked out of the 'manual' position, but I wasn't sure why.

In the past, the unit had locked up several times and been forced free, and the rod looked bent. When I supported it manually, the assembly worked correctly, but I was unable to find a way to rig a permanent support that didn't interfere with the rest of the mechanism.

I thought I'd try to straighten the rod, but while I was doing that, either the turntable slipped, the gear turned or the levers flopped, and one of the pins was sheared off. So I had two-pin gear, but apparently the wrong two pins.

I've got a replacement cam gear (the two-pin type), and, at some point, I'm going to attempt to switch the trip pawl assembly from the original gear, install the new gear and try to make it work.

However, I have no idea what the fundamental cause is/was, and it still works manually, so I'm not overjoyed at the prospect. I've also got a bit of a rumble issue (one per rotation) that needs to be sorted out, so I'd like to do that at the same time. It may be related to the missing O-ring, collateral damage or something else entirely. I haven't got that far.

A brief aside- what is the right oil for the lever mechanism? I've used some 3-in-1 oil, I doubt it's optimal.

I sincerely appreciate the help.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.