Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: $200-$400 1950s-19602 turntable recommendations

I've had both and I actually prefer the 1009. Mine is a slightly modified early model. The early 1009 had a hard-wired RCA cable from the tonearm wires to the preamp. The later 1009SK didn't have quite as high a build quality as the original, but it did have an RCA jack output under the chassis. This allowed the user to swap in different RCA cables. I found an SK with a busted tonearm for cheap, and swapped the RCA jack setup for the original cable. Using some nice vintage WE 16ga copper, I rerouted the wiring connections from the tonearm to the RCA jack, away from the motor and A/C connections. This mostly eliminated the 60hz hum that can plague these older tables. It wouldn't be too hard to wire up an RCA jack to an older 1009 even without an SK as a donor. If your interested, I'll try and post a pic of the mods.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: $200-$400 1950s-19602 turntable recommendations - gsquirrel 16:51:19 05/06/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.