Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Advents in Stereophile

I have not seen the article but there is always a problem with reviewing vintage gear.

Most gear needs some level of work and the question is how far and how much should be paid. Then if the unit is less than old memory recollection is it failure of memory or the parts used.

Also, unless the reviewer is really knowledgeable about the particular unit, something like an incorrect surroud can easily be missed. Or, even can be working with a modified or Frankenstein unit.

I've always suggested that when auditioning a vintagte piece it should first be repaird and not modded and be detrmined that it meets the original factory specifications. Of course with speakers, specifications are not as relevent as with an amp.

I like the idea of taking a unit that is operational and testing it as abasis of what a typical model of that vintage will do and then having the unit gone through and confirmed to be within specification and then retested. At least it will suggest what a unit can do verus what it will do off the shelf.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.