Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Nakamichi PA5 and PA7, opinions

Don't worry about the Onkyo! I was in the business long enough to know that people process sound differently and what sounds fine to one person, does not necessarily sound good to another. Onkyo has a house sound that is not everyone’s cup of tea.

The minutiae orientation of Nakamichi has been the downfall of more than one Japanese product. It can get very expensive with a significant sonic improvement. On the flip side, it did lead to their dominance in cassette decks and the very interesting Dragon turntable. I also think this obsession was instrumental in producing the great tone arms and cartridges that came out of Japan.

That was very interesting about the CD changers. Go old American distrust, which is at the heart of our political system, enabled us to produce a better CD changer with mostly the same parts.

I sold B&W in the early 80's. That was long before the Matrix speakers. They did sound very good but a lot of them were very inefficient. I guess I cannot point a finger because I am currently using Spendor BC-1 speakers. They are inefficient and have low power handling capacity. However, I do have some high efficiency speakers that I can switch to when I want to go high volume.

In the 80's most metal dome speakers would have me running out of the room. I have not heard many of the new ones. Surpisingly, JBL had some good ones.

I like ADS a lot. ADS also had the first CD player that I could stand to listen to. A Genius can be hard to work with. I have read that Fritz Reiner was quite the taskmaster.

When I sold Fortes, I liked to set them up with a Denon 25 watt integrated amp. Bigger amps did not should as good. Tubes or a Class A transistor would have been better but we did not carry either.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.