Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Nakamichi PA5 and PA7, opinions

It is true that different situations can drastically change the sound of an amp. Driving Acoutstat 2+2's, the Nak PA-7 sounded very good, with a Veludine UDL-15.

Early Mosfet amps do have their pluses and minuses. They have a lot of fans, but also a lot of detractors. I had a Niko dual mono amp and later, a VSP Trans Mosfet. They worked in my system driving ADS 990 speakers.

I have a Sony TA-2000F and a TA-3200F amp and preamp. I need to do some work but I hope to find out how good these VFET are.

I lusted after the very expensive TOL Tandberg tuner. That and a yaggi is about as good as FM gets.

I have the TX9090 but its not working righ at the time. It has the Onkyo sound, which I gather you are not that fond of. It did pull in stations well but is no where near the Tandberg and I prfer the Yamaha sound. I am currently using a Denon tuner and I like the sound.

You do have to put your head in a vice to listen to Acoustats. 2+2's or 3's can play loud with 200 watts. They are not as beamy as a single pannel but they still have a sweet spot.

A DCD-810 is my backup CD player. It just keeps on going! I also have a pair of ADS 810 speakers.

I feel Klipsch made some design compomizes that made sense when you were tying to play orchestral music through a PP 2A3 amp, but do not make sense whith modern amps. The response was far from flat. Cornh.., I mean Cornwalls and Forte's were better than most of the designes. but JBL and Altec did much better in certain models. Domes give you a nice wide disperson but horns give you much less room interaction. Both can sound excellent when used appropratly (this includes proper equalization of the horn and matching coverage angles with the crossover frequencyies). JBL pro stuff does this quite well.

We had ADS 1590's in the store for quite a while and I was very fond of them. Even though they were very effient and an easy load, they liked power. Big amps would make them sound effortless. The 1590's were not the last word in resolution but they were very coherent. Both orchetral works and Zappa sounded great!

You are right about WAF and B&O. Women loved that stuff! I was pissed when they stoped making phono cartidges. They were real sleepers. You can still get them at Sound Smith, but the price is about triple what they were. People at the Vinyl Asylum claim that they are worth it, but that is a togh pill for me to swallow.

Dom't worry about hijacking the thread. I suspect we are the only ones lest following it!

The reason I speculated about modding the PA-7 is that I have heard the Threshold Stasis amps and they sound very good. Could the problem pe parts quality? I have a Threshold CAS-1 (which is not a Stasis) and the parts quality is good for the time. There are no electrolyics in the signal path.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Nakamichi PA5 and PA7, opinions - Crazy Dave 13:59:21 02/05/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.