Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Nakamichi PA5 and PA7, opinions

I got out of selling audio in the latter half of the 80's but I had a similar experience to you. My sister played the violin, my mother, other sister and I played the piano and I played the clarinet. I was raised on classical music and went to my first opera when I was 10. Being a late Baby Boomer, there was a lot of folk guitar played around me too. I know what acoustic instruments are supposed to sound like, but many people do not. I would not think of buying equipment with out hearing piano and orchestra on it.

1. There are only three movie theaters in my area that I can go to because all of the other ones drive there amps into hard clipping and I cannot stand it. They should turn it down or get bigger amps.

4. This is very true, but you can also get high efficiency speakers and get the same effect.

Even though I was out of the business before 1990, what you say about Nakamichi was true in the 80's, although the sound was more dull and lifeless rather than thin and crisp. Maybe they overcompensated. Maybe we are talking about the same thing but using differnt language.

The Denon CD players killed the Nakamichis.

It is interesting what you say about the later Nakamichi receivers. Too bad about the heat issues. What you say reminds me of Tandberg receivers.

It is interesting what you say about the Pereaux amps of 89. The Pereaux amps of the earlier 80's were reliable and I thought they sounded good. I was not very fond of their preamp.

Although our store had Acoustat, when I head the QUAD ESL 63, it was clearly better. I have never heard Quad Electronics.

I did sell the only pair of Beolab Penta's that our store ever saw. There did have a nice sound, which was very surprising, considering the rest of B&O's speaker line.

I have a Dutch pressing of "It's a Beautiful Day". What a great album!

I have never had a chance to flog McIntosh, Krell, Mark Levenson or Bryston equipment, but I certainly would like to give it a try. I have used Yamaha preamps to good effect but I have never tried them with Mac. Our chain sound Mark Levenson, but we never got an amp in our store. I have heard Mark Levenson, but not enough to have a strong opinion. We did sell Revox and I was very impressed with the line. They did have a kick-ass amp!

I wonder if the Nak amps can be modded!

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.