Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Sprague 716P orange drops

"Orange Drops" have been in production for decades, and the 716P-series are probably the best of the bunch as they're polypropylene, not mylar. Good reliable parts, readily available in the appropriate values, and not hyped up as an audiophile part, so the prices are reasonable, yet they sound good.

I was sort of tempted to look for German makes like Wima or Roederstein ("ERO") but simply could not find the values I needed, and some items appeared to be out of production--no big surprise considering that Roederstein, Sprague and Vishay merged awhile back.

I've also incorporated a couple of Solen polypropylenes in place of electrolytics: They should last a lot longer, and Solen is one of the few companies to offer film capacitors in larger values--up to 200 uf or so.

The main B+ capacitor is still electrolytic, and I couldn't find twist-lock types to fit the existing cutout (USA types have different dimensions), but F&T's stud-mounted caps fit if if you enlarge the hole a bit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.